Re: Hardt & Negri on Genoa
by kjkhoo
21 July 2001 06:25 UTC

I'm not quite sure why I'm so perturbed by this and the previous
post, so I hope my rambling can be forgiven. As the fact that I
haven't read Hardt-Negri, picking bits and pieces from a short
article here and an interview there.

But perhaps I'm perturbed because the posts strike me as increasingly
rear-guard attempts to keep re-affirming old truths which are
increasingly inadequate to the changing realities around us, rather
than attempts to develop old, apparently still adequate methods of
analysis, to encompass the new realities.

Along the way, we have some partial canards, plus a mix-and-match to
fit the argument rather than the reality.

Thus, to say that after Marx's death, attempts were made to convert
him into a harmless icon, to canonise him, etc. is just plain false.
Makes one wonder where the writer was up until 1989 or thereabouts.
Marx can now be quoted by Time, etc. simply because, in the eyes of
the multitude, he has become irrelevant. Need one add that in many
ways, responsibility for that irrelevance lies as much with the
epigones as with the oppressors? At its most harmless (?), it's to do
with the tiresome way in which the epigones would pick up something
and attempt to show that it was already covered by the old man. Thus
it was with the environment, when so many rushed back to C.III and
spun a paragraph or two out into something to show that it was all
there; so also with gender, and so on. Is it so terrible to
acknowledge that the old man didn't produce a text(s) for all time?

But it is also a canard to suggest that in his life time he was
rejected -- what are all those volumes of writings from the Herald
Tribune, etc. about? Was that paper the paper of the proletariat?
Indeed, what proportion of the proletariat then could even afford the
paper, or could read? Moreover, Marx's writings on India and China
must have provided some solace to the empire builders, and helped
them sell the 'civilising mission' to the masses of the day. Would
that fact alone be sufficient grounds to say that Marx was wrong? Is
Hardt-Negri, or anyone else for that matter, wrong because they are
picked up in bits and pieces by the NYT or Time? We should have
rejected the Pentagon Papers then, when the Washington Post carried
it, should have rejected all those images of Vietnam carried by the
ruling class media of CBS, voiced over by Walter Cronkite?

As for the mix-and-match, curious to see that the writer would
apparently approve of "Local differences pre-exist the present scene
and must be defended or protected against the intrusion of
globalisation". But in so approving of it, isn't it the case that one
accepts the canard that globalisation today is all new, rather than
yet another transformation of a process that has gone on for a long,
long time -- and one which in another era, Marx himself of course
approved of, whether rightly or wrongly is a separate issue?

Curious, too, that this defence of "local differences" then approves
of the nation-state and the system of nation-states, that product of
another period of globalisation, an institution that has been as
guilty of erasing "local differences" in the attempt to homogenise
the national, as were the imperialists. Indeed, in some instances,
the imperialists actually provided shelter for the "local
differences" against the homogenising intent of the nationalists.
Moreover, it is the existence of these nation-states and their
borders which creates the wage differentials which global capital
utilises to its advantage. The fact is that transnational capital
usually pays above the national average wage rate, in the process
sometimes pricing local capital out of the market for skilled labour.
 From the little I've seen, it strikes me that Hardt-Negri have their
finger on something when they focus on the trans-border movement of
people, a process which, if unleashed, may well do more to equalise
wage rates across the world than campaigns to get transnationals to
pay in accordance with American wage rates which would 'distort'
local price structures such that dependence upon transnational
capital would become total, something which is already happening at
the managerial end.

The same with this repetition of the less than USD1 -- note the
denomination, USD -- figure, replete with all its assumptions of
accounting and calculation. I do not dismiss the fact of massive
poverty in the world. But this USD1 figure, while a good sound bite
and wonderful for propaganda purposes, does ride roughshod over the
local. I know of groups where I am who do live on less than USD1 or
USD2 a day per person -- depends on how one counts and account for
what is their income, since so much of their income would not pass
through the grid of national accounting, and slip through the income
surveys. Should they continue to live that way? I may not think so,
but the only way that they can get away from living that way is to
enter the capitalist labour market with all that that implies.

Should we not also recognise that to address some of the problems
identified -- of health and infant mortality, of education (a term
used most unself-consciously to mean formal schooling, as if "local
peoples" didn't have education), etc. -- is itself to participate in,
to urge, a globalising of systems of medical practice, of schooling
practice, etc.? Unless of course the 'Marxists' are all in favour of
shamanistic practices. That -- with tongue fully in cheek -- the
movement against child labour drives against the "local" where people
as young as 12, or less, would in the pre-existing locally different
have been working in the fields, or joining in hunting parties,
gathering wild crops, etc., picking up the local skills along the
way, and to drive them into the schools is to sever them from that
system of informal education, and to condemn them to be the
underclass of the modern capitalist economy since the vast majority
are not going to complete, and even if they complete are not going to
obtain the 'right' certification for the better-paying jobs? But of
course the movement against child labour is thinking of child labour
in the capitalist economy -- and yes, there is a fate worse than
full-blown capitalism, and that's a half-baked capitalism, caught in
a limbo -- the religious version of which has it as a place of no
exit, can't go to heaven, can't go to hell, and can't return to
earth, can't even do a stint a purgatory.

It is also depressing to be told that globalisation currents are all
about Coca-Cola, Macdonald's, etc. Not to mention that it manifests a
curious lack of faith in the local and in local people. Five
centuries ago, the Indian curries which we all love today were made
with pepper, not chillies. Yet who today can imagine curries with
pepper and not chillies? But then, equally, that quintessential
English practice of tea didn't exist five centuries ago.

In point of fact, the current globalisation currents are about who --
not just what -- moves, and under what conditions, and how those
moves do undermine the nation-state. For the -- how would one label
them? -- the managerial classes, the nation-state is increasingly
coming to resemble a club in which membership is optional. Thus, an
accountant with Citibank can live and work in NY or London, Tokyo or
Singapore, with retirement perhaps on the Gold Coast -- and indeed
the more mobile, the more successful. For these, there is
increasingly an equalisation of remuneration, with all the attendant
effects upon the possibilities for the locally confined multitudes --
yes, I like the term as it seems to capture something.

Repeating the mantra of exploitation is not going to get us anywhere,
nor is continued insistence that it is a capital-labour relation.
There has been exploitation from way back when, and the
capital-labour relation has been around for some time as well. It is
the specific modalities of it that are going to tell us how we may
get out of it.

kj khoo