Re: Victims as Oppressors
by Threehegemons
19 July 2001 17:16 UTC

In a message dated 7/19/01 9:49:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
John.Till@famchildserv.org writes:

<< Subj:     Re: Victims as Oppressors
 Date:  7/19/01 9:49:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  John.Till@famchildserv.org (John Till)
 Sender:    wsn-owner@csf.colorado.edu
 To:    KSamman@aol.com, wsn@csf.colorado.edu

 Ten years' ago, when I participated in the Palestine Solidarity Committee at
SUNY Binghamton, Jewish student organizations labelled PSC members as
anti-Semites and supporters of terrorism. Their discourse was also the
predominant one in US media and politics (although the mainstream media and
politics - allegedly dominated by the so-called "Zionist Lobby" focused more
on terrorism and rather less on antisemitism). No mainsteam figure in the US
political sphere considered Arafat a legitimate political leader, or
supported a negotiated settlement resulting in "land for peace."

 I'd also note that much of the public discourse about the PLO wasn't so
different from what US leaders said about the ANC and Mandela.

Yes and No.  Ten years ago--1991, Bush senior had already tried to link aid
to Israel to an end to settlements.  This was probably the sternest policy
the US has ever taken toward Israel, with a Democratic or Republican
administration.  Former President Carter was articulating a public position
of negotiating a settlement. I think the PLO had actually achieved a certain
degree of legitimacy as negotiating partner.  There was considerable debate
within the Jewish community in the US--the Intifadah, and efforts to crush
it, had eroded the image of Israel in a way that the invasion of Lebanon had
not.  I personally don't remember any time when Mandela's image was
comparable to Arafat's.  Mandela was typically accused of being a Communist
(or just a Communist dupe).  Those accusations quickly declined as De Klerk
and Mandela came to agreements.  Arafat was (and is) accused of being a
terrorist, something altogether more sinister.  Mandela was enthusiastically
embraced by the American left, who waged a campaign for divestment on behalf
of his struggle.  Arafat did not enjoy this sort of support.

But I agree with the basic point.  The image of Israel has dramatically
eroded in the last ten-fifteen years.  Not the least of reasons is the
increasing prominence of Arab Americans in US public discourse.  The Jewish
community is more obviously than ever divided about this issue (although
mainstream media seem to try to play down this division).

As for the Holocaust, 'ownership' of its meaning is very politicized, and
related to Israel.  The fight over the artwork by Bruno Schultz, removed from
Poland by Yad Vashem this year without, apparently, the approval of
government authorities, is the latest example.  My sense is that the
commeration of the Holocaust is also becoming disaggregated from Zionism.
Awareness that there were many non-Jewish victims of the Nazis appears to
have risen quite a bit.

Steven Sherman

 In contrast with a decade ago, today in the US, support for Israel is much
weaker. Arafat is recognized as a legitimate Palestinian leader, mainstream
politicans do not as a rule label all Palestinian nationalists as terrorists,
and the Democratic party supports a negotiated solution to the conflict. The
"Zionist Lobby" (I'm not going to use the disgusting term "Holocaust
Industry") may still be there, but it lacks much "pull," compared to the old
days.

 John Till

 >>> <KSamman@aol.com> 07/18/01 12:20AM >>>

 The problem with trying to figure out who deserves our sympathy is
 that it leads to absurdities, at times becoming oppressive to other
 peoples sufferings.  The way the Holocaust is used by Zionists today
 is that by giving themselves the highest award of the most victimized
 peoples of the world has allowed them the luxury to victimize others.
 So let us not make an inventory, listing who is deserving and who is
 not, for in the end it will lead to another victim industry, to be
 appropriated
 for causes unintended.

 Khaldoun