Please watch this program on Sharon and the Phalangists & pass it on
by KSamman
18 June 2001 16:06 UTC

Watch BBC Sharon program Israel doesn't want you
to see online:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/cta/progs/panorama/latest.ram
(RealPlayer)

From: "Ali Abunimah" <ahabunim@midway.uchicago.edu>

June 17, 2001

You can watch the BBC's "Panorama" documentary about Ariel Sharon and the
Sabra and Shatila massacre online via the BBC website.

The program is due to be broadcast at 10.15 PM UK time (5.15 Eastern
Time/4.15 Central Time) today, Sunday June 17. It will be simultaneously
broadcast via a live stream on the BBC website, and then archived there so
you can watch it at your convenience from anywhere in the world.

To find out more information and to watch go to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/panorama/newsid_13810
00/1381328.stm

Remember, the link to the archived video will not appear until AFTER
broadcast in the UK.

More information on this documentary is below.

Ali Abunimah
http://www.abunimah.org

*

The Guardian (London)
June 15, 2001

Israel furious at BBC for Sharon claim

by Brian Whitaker in Jerusalem and Vikram Dodd

Israeli officials attacked the BBC yesterday for a Panorama programme
which concludes that the prime minister, Ariel Sharon, could be tried
for war crimes in connection with the massacre of Palestinians in
Lebanon in 1982.

Israel army radio said efforts were being made to prevent the
programme being broadcast on Sunday, or to include an Israeli reply in
it.

After Israel invaded Lebanon in 1982, its forces, under Mr Sharon's
command as defence minister, allowed Lebanese Christian allies to
enter the refugee camps of Sabra and Shatila.

More than 1,000 Palestinians were massacred by the Phalangist
militias.

But the Israeli justice minister, Meir Sheetrit, said the programme
made by Fergal Keane, The Accused, was proof of the BBC's consistently
anti- Israel" and pro-Palestinian' bias.

Gideon Meir, the Israeli foreign ministry's deputy director of
communications, said: The programme is a scandal. It's a systematic
decision of theirs (the BBC) that is entirely against Israel. There's
no doubt we'll have to consider our path towards the BBC.'

A BBC spokeswoman said it deplored the Israeli threats and stood by
the programme.

Panorama interviewed Mr Sharon's foreign press adviser, Raanan Gissin,
for the programme, but an Israeli foreign ministry spokesman said: It
was not done in a bona fide, fair or professional way . . .

They wrote a letter saying the programme was about Sabra and Shatila
in the light of humanitarian law, but didn't mention war crimes.

I'm 100% sure that if Gissin had known, he would not have given the
interview.

Somebody is manipulating the BBC by raising this specific subject.
It's a public trial of the prime minister - the whole idea looks to us
unfair.'

He said Mr Meir's remarks did not threaten reprisals against the BBC
as a whole. We have constant dialogue with the BBC. We're speaking
about Panorama and the fact that BBC1 is going to host it."

In London, the Israel press attache, David Schneeweiss, said: We've
been in touch with the BBC at all levels to find out what the
programme's about. One has to question why they are focusing on old
news. These events happened 20 years ago.'

Mr Sharon resigned as defence minister in 1983 after an Israeli
commission of inquiry criticised him for his role in the massacres.

It found that he had failed to carry out his duty by disregarding the
risk that Phalangists would carry out acts of vengeance when he
decided to let them enter the camps, and by not ordering appropriate
measures" to reduce the danger of a massacre.

It is believed that the programme does not reveal any new facts about
responsibility for the atrocity, but shows interviews with legal
experts who conclude that Mr Sharon could be indicted for war crimes
for his role in it.

In a statement, the BBC said: This week's Panorama is a legitimate
analysis of a human rights issue. It looks at the question of ultimate
legal responsibility for the massacres . . . at a time when Ariel
Sharon was defence minister.

Panorama asked Prime Minister Sharon for an interview about the issues
raised, and that offer still stands. The programme contains a
contribution from Raanan Gissin, who was made fully aware of the
issues which would feature in the programme.'

Sign the online petition to US Secretary of State Colin Powell at:
http://al-awda.org/terminate_aid_petition.htm