[Fwd: Request] (fwd)
by Peter Grimes
23 May 2001 11:20 UTC

Subject: Request
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 11:47:08 -0600 (MDT)
From: Martha Gimenez <gimenez@csf.colorado.edu>
To: Chris Chase-Dunn <chriscd@mail.ucr.edu>

Dear Chris,

Could you publish this call for papers in the W-S e-journal?

Many thanks,

Martha

CALL FOR PAPERS
SPECIAL ISSUE: MARXIST-FEMINIST THOUGHT TODAY

As capitalism strengthens its worldwide domination, the resulting
burdens
fall increasingly on those in the poorest sectors of the rural and urban
populations and of the masses displaced by armed conflicts and natural
disasters.  Growing numbers of men find themselves downsized,
unemployed,
in prison, or forced to migrate.  Regardless of marital status, income
level, or prior occupational experience, women are increasingly in
charge
of supporting themselves, their families, and future generations. Today
women make the majority of the world's working classes.

It has become commonplace for progressives to argue that in our
presumably
post-capitalist times Marx's work no longer pertains, but a handful of
scholars, male as well as female, have persisted in a commitment to
finding ways to make Marxism feminist and feminism Marxist. It is time
reappraise Marx's work, the Marxist heritage, and Marxist-feminist
theory
in an effort to understand, in all their complexity, the manifold ways
in
which capitalism affects the lives of women and men everywhere.

To this end, we call for contributions to a special issue of SCIENCE &
SOCIETY on "Marxist-Feminist Thought Today."  We encourage prospective
authors to explore both concrete issues, amenable to the use of
empirical
research findings, and theoretical questions having to do with
poststructuralist, postmodern and postfeminist challenges to Marxism and
Marxist-feminism.  Possible topics could include:  unionization among
women
workers; the relationship between changes in men's opportunity
structures
and women's rising levels of labor force participation and economic
responsibility; the effects of recent welfare reforms; the decline of
the
male-breadwinner family unit; rethinking race, gender, and identity
politics; Marxist-feminism, materialist-feminism, and other puzzles;
Black
feminism and Marxist-feminist thought; etc.  In all cases, we ask
authors
to explain how they view their framework to be Marxist as well as
feminist.  We especially welcome manuscripts and proposals from younger
scholars.

The coordinating editors for the issue are Editorial Board member Lise
Vogel (Rider University, 2083 Lawrenceville Road, Lawrenceville, NJ
08648;
lvogel@mindspring.com; 718-499-4952) and Guest Editor Martha E. Gimenez
(Department of Sociology, Campus Box 327, University of Colorado at
Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309; gimenez@csf.colorado.edu). Copies of
proposals,
abstracts, manuscripts, and other correspondence should go to both Vogel
and Gimenez.  The deadline for manuscripts is September 2002 and the
issue
is projected for publication in 2003.