Re: VERY IMPORTANT !!!!
by kjkhoo
22 May 2001 05:27 UTC

At 12:22 AM -0400 22/5/01, Peter Grimes wrote:
>On Mon, 21 May 2001 Threehegemons@aol.com wrote:
>
>>  Can I encourage people to just not send out stuff as attachments to this
>  > list?  Just use the cut and paste function.  Downloads are a pain in the
>  > butt anyway.
>>
>>  Steven Sherman
>>
>       Unfortunately, cut & paste cannot send spreadsheets of data such
>as our friend Arno Tausch has recently circulated, nor articles in PDF
>format such as I have sent.  I am currently discussing our options with
>those operating the system software, and will keep people appraised.

There are ways around this.

First, it appears that the circulating viruses are now mainly in
visual basic transmitted through html-formatted messages. It would
help a great deal if people generally refrained from sending out
messages in html, and just stick to the old - and still good -
standard for email: plain text. This can be set in the
options/preferences/settings of your favourite email programme.

Secondly, if attachments are to be sent, the viruses are apparently
courtesy of Microsoft. That is, if it's a Word file or an Excel file,
please scan the file prior to sending. Alternatively, the list can
set up a space on the CSF server where files can be uploaded for
download. Then it's the responsibility of those who choose to
download those files to ensure that they are virus-free before
opening them.

PDF files are, I believe, not susceptible to those viruses. So, if a
Word file is converted into a pdf file, that should be fine. And
that's an option. You can download a free PDF printer from the Adobe
website, and if you select PDF when you print, it generates a PDF
file from your Word file, or Excel file, or anything.

For small tables, there are small shareware programmes out there
which will take a table and convert it into a format which will
travel well as a plain text email file.

Hope this helps.

KJ Khoo