modern social theory books
by George Snedeker
17 May 2001 01:07 UTC

the following are the list of books on modern social theory I received. I
have omitted those which are out of print.

S. miles, SOCIAL THEORY AND THE REAL WORLD, sage.
D. Layder, UNDERSTANDING SOCIAL THEORY, Sage.
M. Waters, MODERN SOCIAL THEORY, Sage.
A. Callinicos, SOCIAL THEORY, NYU Press
P. Baert, sOCIAL THEORY IN THE 20TH CENTURY, NYU Press.
H. Andersen, CLASSICAL AND MODERN SOCIAL THEORY, Blackwell.
R. Collins, THE DISCOVERY OF SOCIETY and THE FOUR TRADITIONS IN SOCIOLOGY.
P. Kiivisto ed. SOCIAL THEORY ROOT AND BRANCH.
C. Lemert Ed. SOCIAL THEORY, Westview.
C. Lemert, SOCIAL THINGS, Roman and Littlefield.

Lemert's SOCIAL THINGS is a brief history of sociology which could be used
along with his reader in Social Theory. it could not be used by itself
because it provides more of the context than it discusses the theorists.
however, it does cover the same topics as his SOCIAL THEORY.

I have not yet decided which of these I will use.

George Snedeker