infant mortality and TB statistics
by Tausch, Arno
03 May 2001 08:09 UTC

Dear colleagues,

I received several mails regarding my posting of the mentioned statistics.
So, here is a brief clarification:

Please consider that

1)      the 10 best countries in the world according to the TB statistics
were:

        Barbados
        Malta
        Pakistan
        Iceland
        Grenada
        Norway
        Jamaica
        New Zealand
        Sweden
        Cyprus
        Canada

2)      the best performers according to the infant mortality rate statistic
are:

        Norway
        Sweden
        Japan
        Finland
        Singapore
        Australia
        Iceland
        Netherlands
        France
        Switzerland
        Germany

3)      TB statistics usually refer to cases per 100 000 inhabitants. Also
consider the decimal point, i.e. in the worst performing country, Djibouti,
there are almost 600 cases per 100 000 inhabitants
4)      Infant mortality rates refer usually to infant deaths aged 0 - 1 per
life births and year

A look at the really fantastic UNDP statistics website gives you further
access to data and definitions:

http://www.undp.org/hdro/highlights/statistics.html
<http://www.undp.org/hdro/highlights/statistics.html>

Kindest regards