Galtung on Global Democracy
by g kohler

Johan Galtung (advocate of leftism and non-violence, author of many books) has an interesting article, entitled "Alternative Models for Global Democracy" in: Barry Holden, ed., Global Democracy: Key Debates. London-New York: Routledge, 2000.

The article contains formulations like "we, humanity" (p. 143), “world-building” (instead of "nation-building" (p. 143), "The sum of state democracies is not necessarily global democracy" (p 145); and he describes the "people" as the "sovereign" of the world-system (p. 150)

His discussion is organized around a typology of actors, some of which are territorial, others non-territorial. [from page 150. See, table below. I hope that the email software transmits this correctly]

Territorial

Non-Territorial

International community

REGIONAL STATE ORGANIZATIONS

UNO & WORLD STATE ORGANIZATIONS

Pillars of modernity

STATES with state logic

TN Corporations with Capital logic

Pillars of post-modernity

LOCAL AUTHORITIES with Town logic

WORLD CIVIL SOCIETY with Organization logic

The sovereign

PEOPLE with People logic

PEOPLE with People logic

- Gert