Re: Who is the global sovereign?
by Charles J. Reid

My view is that we live in a state of Global Corporate Feudalism (noting
that feudal organizations -- or corporations -- do not value democratic
ideals), where a few "sovereign states" exist. The "sovereign states" are
those who have the military might or allied with coalitions who have the
military might to prevent violent encroachment in their territories or
spheres of influence. Corporations, throught corruption, access to
military triggers of the "sovereign states," and propensity to use
"private" security organization to impose violence and intimidation to
achieve their ends -- access to resources, markets, or capital --
essentially determine the direction of events and the state of the world
today, esoecially by controlling the rule-making authority of "sovereign
states." There is no global body of humane, civilized, just law that
protects individual human beings in the world today. Local bodies of law
protect corporates entities, legally regarded as entities with the same
rights, but not the same moral and legal responsibilities, as people. If
you are a pessimist, you can conclude that, without a counterbalancing
legal system that will send corporate leaders to prision for crimes
against humanity (e.g., Bhopal), Corporate Feudalism is leading mankind
down a path to its own destruction. If you are an optimist, you might
conclude that Corporations, like the Princes at Westphalia in 1648, will
realize that such a body of law -- protecting people, the earth and its
resources, and holding non-human entities responsible for their crimes --
is necessary for ending the essential barbarism of Corporate Feudalism and
a prerequisite for human survival on this earth.

//CJR