El respecto al derecho ajeno es la paz
by g kohler

Speaking to the crowd in Mexico City after his (their) recent long march from Chiapas to Mexico City, Marcos said: “This is the hour of the indigenous peoples. Mexico, do not let the sun rise again without a space on your flag for us, for us who wear the colour of the earth.” In an interview he stated: “Our main goal is the recognition by the Mexican parliament of the indigenous peoples as a collective subject of law. The state should admit that Mexico consists of different peoples; that these indigenous peoples have their own political, social and economic forms of organization; and that they have a strong relationship with their earth, their community, their roots and their history. We do not demand independence. We do not want to proclaim an independent Maya nation or split the country into a multitude of indigenous countries. We want the recognition of the rights of a significant part of Mexican society . . . Our goal is peace; a peace which is based on serious dialogue. . .”
From Le Monde Diplomatique (March 2001), article on "Long March of Marcos"

Benito Juarez, 19th century, indigenous and president of Mexico, said: "El respecto al derecho ajeno es la paz" (respect for the rights of others is peace). Very similar to Marcos above. Also similar to the statement: "Freedom is also the freedom of the other".