[Fwd: [EUROPE] BOYCOTT U.S. OIL]
by "J.Antonio Pérez" (by way of solerf)

To: Chris Keene <chris.keene@which.net>
Subject: [EUROPE] BOYCOTT U.S. OIL

PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY

APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING:  I'M SENDING THIS TO A NUMBER OF MAILING
LISTS AS WELL AS INDIVIDUALS

The world today stands on the brink of climate catastrophe.  President
Bush's decision to pull out of the Kyoto climate treaty could mean its
collapse.

The world's climate scientists have been calling for reductions of 60%
to 80% in emissions of carbon dioxide, yet Bush will not even ratify the
Kyoto Protocol which calls for a mere 5.2% cut in greenhouse gas
emissions from industrialised countries.

Extreme weather events such as floods, droughts and storms, which have
already killed millions of people and caused $billions of damage, will
become much more frequent.

Most Americans believe climate change is a serious threat, but their
leader prefers to swallow the lies of the fossil fuel lobby.  Obviously,
the American oil giants are one of the driving forces behind this
spectacular reversal of US environmental policies by George Bush, who
himself used to work for the Texan oil industry.  The US oil companies
are pushing for a U-turn in environmental policies by opposing any
reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. It is no co-incidence that they
are at the same time pushing for new drilling licenses in
environmentally protected areas in Alaska.

The Green/EFA group in the European Parliament have now issued a call
for a boycott of the US oil multinationals.  Europe must stand up to
irresponsible US policies by rejecting these at the petrol pump.  A
polite request, such as that by the EU summit in Stockholm, obviously
will not change Bush's mind.  Unless the US rethinks its position,
direct boycott is the only language they will understand.

(In calling for this boycott, we would like to stress we have no quarrel
with the American people, most of whom support action to tackle climate
change.)

IF BUSH WILL ONLY LISTEN TO BIG BUSINESS THEN WE MUST MAKE BIG BUSINESS
LISTEN TO US

---
CoordinaciŪn europea - European Coordination - Coordination europČenne.