Re: Ethnic Hegemony and World-System
by ilagardien

I have never come across this concept, but what may be a useful starting point
is to look at the set of values, principles, routines and repertoires
traditionally associated with what can be called an Anglo-Saxon predominance -
because of the apparent European domination of history and the structure of
international society - and the extent to which non-european groups and
individuals have "bought into" this.

I often think, for example, of prominent Asians (Bhagwati, Strinivasan etc) who
moved to the USA and adopt most of these values, routines and repertoires. Not
unlike the Janizeries (spelling) of the Ottomany Empire they effectively serve
the prevailing orthodoxy - which may well be set to be essentially Angol-Saxon.

On another level. We see countries like China wanting to join western "clubs"
like the WTO and become part of the nomenclatura of the liberal international
economic order. I read an interesting article recently about people in China
adopting names like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson etc... Now that may be
explained by communication, the naive and romantic notions associated with
AMERIKA, but we don't see them wanting to call themselves Kwame, or Madiba
(Mandela's family name).

But this is just a quick response sucked out of my thumb...

ismail

Ismail Lagardien
World Bank Institute
J4-163
1818 H Street
Washington DC
20433
USA

202 473 9603

Visit the World Bank Institute's Website
http://www.worldbank.org/wbi/