[Fwd: [Pews] PEWS ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP DRIVE - let's begin early this time]
by chris chase-dunn

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Pews] PEWS ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP DRIVE - let's begin early this
time
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 09:27:42 -0800
From: "Rich Appelbaum" <appelbau@sscf.ucsb.edu>
To: <pews@humanitas.ucsb.edu>

POLITICAL ECONOMY OF THE WORLD-SYSTEM (PEWS)
MEMBERSHIP DRIVE

March 11, 2001

Comrades/Colleagues:

Every year we wait until the ASA meeting to push the panic button,
realizing
that we are just short of 400 members – the number needed to trigger an
additional PEWS session for the following year. By then it is too late.
Why?  Because applications received prior to October 1, 2001 become
effective only for the 2001 calendar year, typically resulting in less
than
a month of membership, before it must be renewed for the 2002 calendar
year
(and summer 2002 meetings).

So I thought I would start a mid-year membership drive, which hopefully
will
see us with an expanded membership by this summer. REMEMBER: IF EVERYONE
SIGNS UP JUST ONE ADDITIONAL PERSON, WE WILL DOUBLE OUR MEMBERSHIP!
(Calculations available on request.)

Here’s what you can do:

1. SIGN UP A GRADUATE OR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT.

If s/he already belongs to the ASA, student membership in PEWS is $5.
Simply go to http://www.asanet.org/forms/sectionform.html and fill out
the
form. Do it on-line, or print out the form and mail it in with $5. It’s
easy! It’s fun!

If s/he does not already belong to the ASA – well, why not Give the Gift
of
ASA Membership for a mere $37 (student rate), entitling your favorite
student to the ASR or another journal of his/her choice, footnotes, etc.
Do
it on-line (https://secure.asanet.org/asanet/2001/index.cfm), or print
out
the application form (http://www.asanet.org/forms/mem.html) and mail it
in
with your check. Make sure you mark the PEWS section box.

2. RECRUIT SOME COLLEAGUES.

PEWS membership will cost them only $12. You might print out the section
membership form (http://www.asanet.org/forms/sectionform.html) and mail
or
email it to several colleagues, convincing them to join, emphasizing the
following benefits of PEWS membership:

- PEWS is the only ASA section that studies development in its
world-historical context, emphasizing the intersection between local and
global social, economic, and political processes. PEWS scholarship
provides
a firm foundation for critically understanding what is popularly
referred to
as “globalization.”

- PEWS members study such diverse topics as economic development;
gender,
race, and class in the global economy; global environmental problems;
international labor movements and resistance movements in general;
global
sweatshop production and what can be done about it; global urban
patterns
and world cities; and the formation, rise and fall of nation-states.

- PEWS sponsors joint ASA sessions with other sections of the
Association –
for example, the sections on Labor and Labor Movements, and Environment
and
Technology.

- Each spring PEWS sponsors a conference separate from the ASA meetings
and
publishes a book of proceedings from the conference.

- PEWS sponsors an annual book award, a biannual article award, a
biannual
dissertation award, and a Distinguished Career award.

DO IT TODAY – DON’T DELAY!

Richard P. Appelbaum, Chair 2001

Richard P. Appelbaum, Ph.D.
Professor, Sociology and Global & International Studies
Director, Institute for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Research
(ISBER)
Co-Director, Center for Global Studies
University of California at Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
phone: (805) 893-7230
fax: (805) 893-7995
email: appelbau@sscf.ucsb.edu