Subj: Forwarding an article by Hanan Ashrawi
Date: 3/15/01
From:    nsakhnini@home.com (Nizar Sakhnini)
To:    Undisclosed-Recipient

SHARON’S MESSAGE TO THE PALESTINIAN PEOPLE -By Hanan Ashrawi*To every man,
woman, and child in the Palestinian territories. YOU are my target; you will
be made to suffer; and you shall pay for the original crime of being a
Palestinian—and for being there.

Every camp, village, town, and city is hereby declared a prison. Instead of
arresting each individual and having to build even more incarceration centers
and foot the bill for your detention, I shall simply instruct the army to dig
ditches and build barricades around your population centers, thus with one
sweep render your isolation complete. Wherever you are, you’re under arrest
at your own expense and in your own home.

School children may not reach their schools and college students are to stay
home. Some of you might try to climb over the dirt barriers or walk around
the ditches. Take your chance! After hours of misery you might find a tank
(or more) lying in wait for you. You might find snipers on your hilltops or
armored vehicles at your crossroads. Defy the siege at your own peril, and if
you die don’t blame me. In my book, you’re guilty of the subversive act of
seeking education. The same applies to your teachers and school
administrators who are guilty of the equally heinous crime of attempting to
teach. Besides, I can’t close down all your educational institutions with a
military order: That would tarnish my new and improved image in the West (and
my new ally Shimon might not like it). This way, your institutions will
collapse by themselves and ignorance will prevail.

All patients seeking treatment (including cancer, kidney, and heart patients)
are hereby forbidden to reach their hospitals and clinics. You shall suffer
in silence and you shall die in silence, for you are guilty of daring to
claim the same human treatment reserved for real people—not for subhuman
genetic terrorists like you. All pregnant women will deliver in their own
homes, or in ambulances and at checkpoints if they dare defy the siege.
Should you suffer complications leading to the death of your infants (or to
your own death), you have only yourselves to blame. For you are guilty of the
ultimate crime of attempting to give birth to even more Palestinian
terrorists. All mothers should know that no vaccination will be allowed to
reach your children, for they deserve no protection against infancy and
childhood diseases. They too will grow up to be a threat to our security.

All shopkeepers, tradesmen, industrialists, construction workers, businessmen
(and women—we don’t discriminate) are hereby forbidden from engaging in any
kind of gainful activity. Since you cannot go anywhere anyway, you might as
well stay home and watch your families starve even if your warehouses are
full of products you cannot market. You too are guilty for attempting to
conduct a normal life in defiance of the occupation.

This applies even more directly to farmers and peasants and all those
involved in agricultural activity. Is it not enough that we confiscated most
of your land to build settlements for those brave settlers who had defied
real hardships in New York, London, Moscow, and other such hostile places to
come to the Land of Milk and Honey? You had no business being there, tilling
the land and feeding your children. Now, we have to confiscate even more
lands for these settlers to build by-pass roads (i.e. to bypass your reality)
and to connect them to Israel directly without having to witness the mere
fact of your existence. You call it apartheid? We call it security by the
power of the gun.

If our brave settlers used their guns against you, uprooted your trees,
destroyed your crops, and terrified your children, that’s the least they
could do given the hardships they endured in their drive to grab more land.
We, of course, are more than happy to provide them with the full protection
and support of our army while they wreak havoc amongst you, and will distort
our laws to find them innocent no matter whom they kill, maim, or injure from
amongst you. When will you learn that you do not count? They do, and we will
make sure that in this equation you finally learn that you are the zero.

Let me be painfully frank with you. I blame you for forcing us to besiege
you, kill you, shell your homes, assassinate your activists and leaders, and
perform other such distasteful tasks (even though, I must admit I have had a
long and rich experience in invading Arab lands, murdering civilians and
prisoners of war, and massacring Palestinians wholesale while destroying
whole villages). You are truly exasperating. We made you a generous offer
whereby we would annex only parts of your land (including our settlement
clusters), expand settlements according to need (and will), annex Jerusalem
and keep it under our sovereignty (while trying our best to render it
Palestinian-free), and totally deny the Palestinian refugees their right to
return. Yet, ungrateful wretches that you are, you persisted in your stubborn
refusal. You claim international law and legitimacy? What nonsense! Only our
law prevails, and we deem you illegal.

Despite all our attempts at persuasion (our gun ships, tanks, sniper fire,
and military checkpoints are very subtle means of persuasion), you continued
to deny us our rights to your lands and rights. We have to be able to help
ourselves to that which is yours—what else is occupation for? What other use
of power if not to be unleashed on the weak?

I therefore find you guilty and deserving of the utmost punishment (we may
not have the death penalty in our laws, but we can carry out as many
extra-judicial murders and assassinations as we please). You are guilty—for
holding on to your humanity, for daring to exercise a collective (and
individual) will, for refusing to succumb, for daring to claim equal rights
before the law, for maintaining your dignity and a stubborn yearning for
freedom.

We, on the other hand, should be free to inflict any type of pain and
brutality on you, and it should be your lot to lie down and die quietly. You
must not be allowed to disturb our peace or security. We have the right to
drive you to desperation, and should you protest or react, not only will you
be conveniently branded as terrorists, we will also pound you into submission
while calling on you to "stop the violence" and "end terrorism."

Not only that, but we will stand up before CNN (and all the friendly Western
press) to expose you for not accepting our hand stretched out to you in
peace. Don’t worry. They’ll swallow it hook, line, and sinker. We’ve been
feeding them our spin for years to the point where they’ve lost not only
their critical judgment and journalistic integrity, but also their sense of
sight and hearing when it comes to your image and narrative. They’re
guaranteed to pay attention only when you harm an Israeli or provide them
with a negative proof of our stereotype. So don’t count on any audience or
sympathy in the world—for you are guilty and will be blamed.

And if you suffer from any misguided notion that the UN or any other global
body will come to your rescue, rest assured it ain’t gonna happen!

Kofi Anan has been dispatched forthwith to prevent the destruction of statues
(cultural heritage) in Afghanistan; he can’t be expected to deal with human
reality at the same time. Besides, we might promise him a role in the peace
process provided he behaves himself and looks the other way. We might have a
harder time with your European friends, but they too can’t afford to irk us.
As for the new US administration, don’t hold your breath. It, too, has
decided to give me time to demonstrate my peace making skills. And I’m busy
demonstrating those to the hilt, as you can see and feel. I will make peace
with you if it takes everything that you have, including your land, lives,
rights, and freedom.

My colleagues (including Chief of Staff General Mofaz and Minister of Defense
General Ben Eliezer) concur with me. It is wonderful to be able to do my
worst and still have Labor instruments (like Fuad) and apologists (like
Peres) on my team. They certainly clean up my image! Besides, I’m not doing
any much worse than Barak did. At least I’m not shelling your homes for now
(the Americans didn’t like our use of their apaches for that purpose, and it
didn’t look good before the cameras anyway).

So, if you know what’s good for you, please behave like good little natives
and kiss the hand that beats you. Say YES to peace, my way, and I guarantee
you an efficient apartheid system. In the meantime, stop the violence and
stop being the terrorists that you are. As for me, I remain forever a
pacifist and a humanist (my way). If only you would see it my way.

p.s. Note from Shimon (Peres). I really am pained at what you have to endure,
but I’m truly helpless—having cast my lot with the Sharon’s, Lieberman’s
and Ze’evi’s of this world. However, I will continue to work for my vision
of new realities in the Middle East. This is only a sample of what it has in
store for you. I have to rush and meet with my European colleagues and
members of the press to let them know that Sharon isn’t all that bad. He is a
new man for a new age. Given my (and his) history and age I have a tough job
selling that spin! What do you think?

*Secretary General of the Palestinian Initiative for the Promotion of Global
Dialogue & Democracy (MIFTAH), and Member of the Palestinian Legislative
Council.

Subj: [GNAA] British Arabs and Jews unite to commemorate Deir Yassin