RE: Free Will (or Free Willy)
by Boles (office)

My message did not distinguish IW and GA positions in detail.  But, with all
due respect, I think Goldfrank's characterization of Giovanni isn't quite
accurate.

As a former grad student of Arrighi, I can say with some confidence that he
is fairly clear that the rise of EA is not another hegemonic transition.  It
is more likely a period of systemic chaos.  In fact, this current shift in
the center of the w-e is likely to spell the end of capitalism and may usher
in a world empire (1995:354, 1999: 288-89).  (I happen to find this
particular argument quite convincing, and I presented a paper last August at
the ASA, on a panel with Chase-Dunn, elaborating on this possibility and
suggesting that it is a logic of the modern world-system as manifest in the
attempts by past second-rank contenders for hegemony to create empires --
e.g. Spain, France, Germany).

Further, Giovanni often characterizes the systemic chaos of hegemonic
decline (except Holland of course which was not preceded by a hegemon), as
the "re-making" of capitalism, that is, as a systemic breakdown.  However,
as noted, the present structural conditions/anomalies of capitalism in the
era of US hegemonic demise prevent the rise of a new hegemon that could
guide the remaking capitalism in ways analogous to past hegemons.  The
center is shifting, but hegemons of old are not being recreated and so a
fundamental structural pattern of capitalism has ended.

Elson E. Boles
Historical Sociology