Re: "rise of china" and wst
by wwagar

Boris and All--

        Ha, ha!  That's the best (negative) criticism of A SHORT HISTORY
OF THE FUTURE I have yet seen.  I intend to cite it routinely in future
discussions of that venerable book.  My only defense is that Wallerstein
himself saw it very differently, but so what?  The last 100 years
transposed onto the next 200!  Bravo!  Maybe that's why historians should
keep their idiographic hands off the future!

        Of course WST is contested terrain.  Along with everything else.
Even I am corrupted by postmodernism, or why would I deny that the future
can be predicted?  In my courses, I even offer the argument that the
future cannot be predicted for the same reason that the past cannot be
predicted.  But that's not quite fair, because I do, at the back of my
positivist mind, believe that a God could do both.  Also please recall
that positivism in its original sense incorporated a flat denial of
metaphysical inquiry.  Down with omniscience, teleology, truth claims.
Not suitable hunting grounds for mere human beings, who have only their
eyes and ears and noses and the tools of logical discourse.

        Warren