China the Hegemon, Revisited after ONE year
by K.S.TSO

Dear Dr. Hutchinson,

Thank you for your inspiring questions posted on 28 Feb. 2001, which,
deservingly, has prompted much meaningful response.

May I draw you attention to a series of discussion started exactly one
year ago in WSN by Dr. Podobnik's posting of 28 Feb. 2000 on the 'Blue
Team'.

Hope to hear more about your student's view on the perceived 'bad
guys'.  They may find the attached educating.   Chase-Dunn, Thomas
D.Hall and Stremlin also contributed to that last round of posting
towards the middle of March 2000.  Your students may also find these
comments equally educating.

Indeed, the more things change, the more they remain the same!  Anti
Chinese sentiment is rising.  China may or may not be rising, depending
on the statistical data one wishes to analysis.  There is evidence that
China is enriching more human beings than most other nations.  There is
also evidence that one party rule, central to the ideology of the
communist party, is being challenged.  All those interesting questions
in the last few days may find some basis for further discussion in Prof.
Wallestiein's Comment No.35 attached for easy reference.

By the way, how did you 28 April 2000 query on the cultural revolution
go?  Did the McDonald Family respond to your May 3rd remarks?  Did your
28th May 2000 response to Dan Savage's earlier posting lead to further
dialogue?  (My hard drive went bad on me at about the same time, so I
have lost track of subsequent postings.)

K.S.Tso
CityU, HK

Comment No 35.doc