Re: "rise of china" and wst
by wwagar

        The notion of "free will" is indeed a chimera, unacceptable to
both social and natural science.  To the extent that our behaviors are
determined by the sociocultural milieu, we are not free.  To the extent
that any remaining behaviors are determined by genetic factors and
personal experience from the womb onward, we are not free.  B.F. Skinner
said it long ago.  Freedom is an illusion fostered by our ignorance of all
the determinants of our behavior.  Nonetheless, we perceive ourselves to
be, within limits, free.  That perception is also real, even if founded in
ignorance.  Deal with it!

        Warren