Re: Biological Reductionism/Ideology
by Richard N Hutchinson
21 February 2001 23:12 UTC

Boris-

If human beings can be genetically engineered, that  might lead to all
sorts of outcomes, come beneficial and some nearly unimaginably
detrimental, but the technological capacity to do that engineering would
in fact vindicate the scientific possibilities inherent in a [biological
reductionist/sociobiological/insert your preferred term here] research
program, quite apart from the uses that technology is put to, according to
the ideology of the user.  Ipso facto, "biological reductionism" is not
just ideology.  I can't make the point any clearer.  (Come to my
assistance, list members, if you can see a better way to state this!)

If this point is still not clear, then once and for all I will cease and
desist, forced to conclude that Derrida was right about free-floating
signifiers.

RH