Re: S J Gould on new genome findings
by Boris Stremlin
20 February 2001 06:51 UTC

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Richard N Hutchinson wrote:

> Boris-
>
> Perhaps my message was too condensed.
>
> My point is that if Gould is right, we have nothing to fear from genetic
> engineering.  Personally, I'm still very worried about what it might lead
> to -- I'm afraid the reductionist biology agenda might be much more
> dangerous than simply a bad ideology.

Not sure how you read that from Gould.  Seems to me he's saying that the
more reductionist, deterministic and proud our scientific practice and
worldview get, the more mistakes - pragmatic and moral - we are prone to
make.  One shouldn't draw an absolute distinction between ideology and
reality.

--
Boris Stremlin
bc70219@binghamton.edu