Re: S J Gould on new genome findings
by Boris Stremlin
19 February 2001 23:49 UTC

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Richard N Hutchinson wrote:

> I only hope Gould is right, but unfortunately capitalism is pouring
> billions into the search for traits and behaviors encoded in genes, and
> the reductionist approach may bear ominous fruit...

Three quick points -

1) The finding that the number of genes is approximately 1/4 to 1/5 the
size previously estimated is not Gould's, but that of the "reductionist
establishment"; he is merely commenting on its obvious significance.

2) the fact that reductionism may bear ominous fruit in some cases is no
reason to accept a reductionist world-view.

3) "capitalism" has also poured billions into neo-classical economics, to
ominous ends in some circumstances.

--
Boris Stremlin
bc70219@binghamton.edu