Comments on Richarsd Moore's postings on speculative money and other points.
by Paul Riesz
14 February 2001 23:42 UTC

Dear Richard:
I have objections to some of the arguments in your latest 2 postings; at
present let us address 2 of them.

1. You feel that capitalism is not reformable, because after reformation,
the speculative money (according to you some 90% of the worlds total
supply) would disappear overnight.
You do admit that you cannot find the source for this statement and I must
admit to lack the specific knowledge needed to comment rationally on such
delicate and important matters. Nevertheless I shall argue the point,
trying to use simple common sense:
As I see it, the source for your "virtual money" is credit granted by
financial institution and such institutions do not normally extend credit
to people lacking suitable backing = real estate or other tangible assets.
If reforms shall deny them the opportunity for using their credits for
money speculations or to invest in sweatshops or other destructive
ventures, the holders of such credits would have 2 alternatives:
a. invest in approved and sustainable projects or
b. give them back to their banks.
In neither case the world's economy would collapse.

2. Harmonizing communal and regional differences:
You feel that appropriate techniques might overcome the existing
differences. This of course is difficult to definitely prove or disprove;
let us therefore look at some concrete examples:
How could you expect to harmonize the interests of the owners of palatial
residences in the suburbs, wanting to have their taxes reduced and some
inner city unemployed and homeless persons, who want jobs in public works
and some affordable housing.
In some extraordinary occasion one might find people of very unusual
understanding and compassion, who could agree on solutions acceptable to
both sides. Unfortunately such people are VERY hard to find and under
normal circumstances an authority must come forward to IMPOSE a way out.
And how do you suggest to harmonize the interests of a small and very rich
country like Switzerland with those of some dirtpoor African countries or
with those of India?
To do it your way, one would have to get hold of the genetic code and BREED
a new humanity.

If we want to stop the current race towards the abyss, we must try to find
solutions with a greater chance for success. I do not know, whether my
proposals could really do it, but they seem to have a better chance than
yours and could at least serve as a starting point for finding better ideas.
Regards           Paul