Re: administrative
by Richard K. Moore

1/31/2001, Alan Spector wrote:
   > The other alternative is "moderation"...

Is there really only one other alternative?

First of all, there is no way to avoid being 'watched'. It
is really only spam and offensive postings we need concern
ourselves with.  Second, the incidence of intrusion has been
very slight so far, and we don't know whether a pattern is
developing or not, or whether it would be more than a minor
nuisance.  In my experience, such intrusions usually come
from zealots who roam around the net looking for 'enemies'
to taunt, rather than from concerted campaigns to disrupt
particular lists.   Third, we can first use the expedient of
blocking particular addresses from the list, and that
might suffice, even though people can use other addresses if
they're determined enough.

In short I suggest we stay cool and see what happens, and
then try light solutions if necessary before doing something
that is itself disruptive to our process.

1/31/2001, Konstantin Borodinsky wrote:
    > Students with no personal access shall provide a reference
      from PERSONAL accounts, verifiable and traced, preferably
      from the university [staff].

I can understand Konstantin's frustration - in some sense
we've been subjected to a terrorist attack by a cowardly,
untraceable poster.  Nonetheless I find it disturbing that
our anger-response might lead us into mutual divisiveness
and suspicion.

rkm