[Fwd: [Pews] Live Video: THE GLOBALIZATION DIVIDE - 1/28 (fwd)]
by chris chase-dunn

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Pews] Live Video:  THE GLOBALIZATION DIVIDE - 1/28 (fwd)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:38:41 -0800 (PST)
From: "David A. Sonnenfeld" <sonn@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
To: Environment Technology and Society
<envtecsoc@csf.colorado.edu>,Rural Sociology
<RURSOC-L@LSV.UKY.EDU>,Environmental History Listserv
<h-environment@h-net.msu.edu>,PEWS <pews@humanitas.ucsb.edu>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:34:19 +0700
From: Nicola Bullard <N.Bullard@focusweb.org>
To: focus-on-trade@egroups.com
Subject: [Focus-on-Trade] THE GLOBALIZATION DIVIDE

Tune in to...

THE GLOBALIZATION DIVIDE
DAVOS- PORTO ALEGRE

A special VISàVIS videobridge

THE GLOBALIZATION DIVIDE is a special videobridge, an interactive
television program linking Davos, Switzerland and Porto Alegre,
Brazil, during the World Economic and the World Social Forums (January
25-30, 2001). The two events, planned in parallel, will be
articulating two different visions of globalization and its effects:

In Davos, political, economic and international organisations look
predominantly at the financial aspects of globalization.

In Porto Alegre, NGO's, unions and civic movements look at
globalization's social aspects.

After protests in Seattle, Bangkok, Prague or, more recently, Nice,
rather than letting the gap get wider, we believe there is a need for
civilized public dialogue on the future of globalization. And we think
the media has a role to play in this. Participant in both places have
agreed to use this televised forum to create a platform for
understanding which can serve the world as it enters the new century.

THE GLOBALIZATION DIVIDE is an official part of the World Social
Forum.  While this is not an official part of the World Economic
Forum, the importance of seeking harmony is understood by many notable
WEF participants, who have agreed to attend as individuals.

The independent programme will be produced by the French production
company Article Z on January 28 and be broadcast on the European
satellite channel ARTE, WorldlinkTV in the USA, the Francophone global
channel TV5, and other television channels which elect to carry the
program throughout the world.  The event will take place between 7 and
9 p.m European time.

The organization is prepared to stream the entire program (90 minutes)
of THE GLOBALIZATION DIVIDE at www.madmundo.tv, with links to partner
websites including One World Online, ATTAC, and Indymedia, once
additional funding is secured.

Themes and Panelists :

Panelists on both sides will together be discussing topics like:

THE ISSUES

How can the divides be bridged : at the age of the digital divide,
between haves and have-nots, know and know-nots   creation of wealth
and preservation of environment, labor and management?
Are the Powers that Be listening at all to what civil society has to
say ?

THE FEARS

Is globalization erasing local cultures and stealing autonomy from
sovereign states ? traditions from the planet? Will slowing down
global integration lead to stagnant and recessionary economies
worldwide?

THE CHALLENGES

Can the two side hear one another? Can agreements be reached or
protocols agreed to that will prevent a growing conflict to emerge ?

We have invited a number of people to participate, including the
following, who are representative of our aims.  We are in discussions
with those listed, but it is too early to be definitive.  These or
others will be selected to represent the points of view of businesses,
NGOs, politicians, and activists:

In Davos :
Kofi Annan (UN)
Sir John Brown (British Petroleum)
Vernon Ellis (Arthur Andersen)
Pascal Lamy (Euro Commission)
Jean Marie Messier (Vivendi)
Michael Moore (WTO)
Pierre Sané (Amnesty Int'l)
George Soros (Open Society Institute)

In Porto Alegre :
Walden Bello (Focus on Global South)
José Bové, (Farmer, Confédération paysanne)
Bernard Cassen (ATTAC)
Glyn Ford (European MEP)
Eduardo Galeano
Aminata Traoré (former Minister of Culture of Mali)
Joao Pedro Stedile (Peasants Without Land - MST)

Production Team :

Author-Executive Producer : Patrice Barrat
Associate Producers : Gonzalo Arijon
Production Coordinator : Pierre Peyrot
Links Director : Kim Spencer
Journalist Porto Alegre : Laurence Jourdan
Administrative Director : Nezha Cohen

THE GLOBALIZATION DIVIDE is a joint effort of ARTICLE Z , ALTER DOC,
INTERNEWS INTERACTIVE , WORLDLINKTV.

ARTICLE Z
20, boulevard Poissonnière - 75009, Paris.  Tél. : (33)1 55 33 52 60 /
Fax : (33)1 55 33 52 62
email: articlez@club-internet.fr
web : www.madmundo.com and  www.articlez.fr,

Focus on the Global South (FOCUS)