Re: MACHO ALERT: women and world system
by Mine Aysen Doyran

Thanks Dennis, I am circulating--Mine

From "Dennis L. Blewitt" <Dennis.Blewitt@Lawyernet.com>

"Dennis L. Blewitt" wrote:

> [...]

I have some thoughts in response to your Macho Alert.  If you chose to
repost or recirculate, I would appreciate it if you kept my name
confidential.
    For several years, I was a council for the Italian American Civil Rights
League, until Columbo go shot.  I took the position with the condition that
as a criminologist, I could study them.  I was referred to them by a
relative, who was a well-placed Madame, who plied her trade for 30+ years.
I have several observations to make.
    1.    The unfortunate nature of most of the world is that slavery, in
one form or another is quite common.  Prostitution is one form of that
slavery.
    2.    Those of us in the US are rather naive regarding slavery, even
though it existed in this country until 100 years ago.
    3.    Universal sufferage in this country is younger than slavery, with
women's sufferage occurring only about 2-3 decades after universal male
sufferage.
    4.    There are many who exist through preditory behavior, typified by
the mafia and some social elites.
    My relative was very successful.  She grew up in a midwestern town of
500.  She was Miss##### University of a large midwestern university.  Her
social friends were high ranking politicians, PR executives, studio
executives, corporate executives and spooks.
    She was instrumental in negotiating several large business contracts,
putting deals together, compromising rivals, etc.  She started out in public
relations, and branched out.  She died with a sizeable estate in cash,
stocks and real estate.  Her "girls" were very bright and all had at least a
bachelors degree.  S large number retired very wealthy.  Her group was
sophisticated and many married well.  All engaged in either political or
industrial espionage, either for the US or large multinational corporations.
    Her politics were extremely right-wing, as were most of her associates
in business, government or entertainment.  I realize my observations are
biased based upon a rather unique sample, but I wonder how many prostitutes
would fall in the category of preditor, the same as the gambler, mafioso,
stock broker, etc. rather than the category of exploiter.

--
Mine Aysen Doyran
Ph.D Student
Department of Political Science