RE: protection racket
by Boles (office)

It is certain that some are working for the US, and I think you're right that
many in the US Global Robo Cop establishment were alarmed at Bush's suggestion
that US troops withdraw (even though the main role of the US there is its
overwhelming force in Europe, logistics, and intelligence-gather capabilities).
 No doubt, Germany wants an expanded military role and some German officials
are already "saying no" to Washington on a number of issues, such as SDI, and
they have the support of Russians among others.  There are, that is, a number
of competing pro- and anti-US factions.

The question is, how far will the anti-US factions go and how will the US
react?  Is a steady US decline of military power inevitable based on the past
patterns of the world-system?  I think, given the systemic ruptures since 1945
that the patterns have ended, and the chaos of this period of flux will become
more intense and prediction more difficult.  In the near future, will Europe
demand control over the command of US troops and missiles, or request a phased
withdraw from Europe altogether?  Seems unlikely in the near future.  But if
such momentum were to build up, would the US flex its military muscles again,
create regional instability somewhere (possibly near Europe again), and
demonstrate to its "allies" that they need to continue payments to the US for
"protection"?  Or perhaps do so also to raise the president's ratings in the
polls as the US economy stagnates over the next 4-5 years (recall Clinton's
bombing of Iraq during the Lewinsky scandal or the leak from South Korea that
he was planning an attack on North Korea).  I think the Mafioso racket is a
pattern in this chaotic time, and I see no end to it over the next decade.  In
view of how the dynamics have changed since the end of the Cold War -- which
has reduced concerns of a global nuclear war resulting from regional conflicts
in Europe and other strategic areas -- there is less pressure to constrain the
US mafioso-racket.  And so the US has geared up for short and rapid action
high-tech wars.  Bush will, sooner or later, use military force somewhere.
It's something one can bank on.

Elson