Re: cj> Re: Petros re/ 2001 RKM Manifesto
by Bill Ellis

Paul,
I certainly don't mean to say forget the big picture.
But as we learn more and more about how things organize we are beginning to
recognize that order (at least in the physics and biological spheres) come
agbout on the border between rigid order and random chaos.  And it is seldom
clearly planned or predicted.  The weather is the best example. No one can
clearly predict a hurrican, or where it will go, or even a sunny day.
Elisibet Saharotis has suggested that like the human body is made of
biological cells so are social bodies composed of social cells.
In a larger measure than we have previously recognized social organization
is another case of "spontaneous self-organization at the edge of choos."

The "loose coalition" that formed the human body of one celled animals was
merely obeying the laws of nature.  IMHO the same laws apply in the social
sphere and until we create the social cells that we want there is little
chance that the system to support them will organize. The control we have in
detailed planning of a very complex system is severly limited.

So yes, we should "keep a vigilant eye on any future
> government, to avoid backsliding into the present, overwhelming influence
> of wealth on decisionmaking."  But we cannot expect to organize a new society
without first creating the new social cells.
IMHO Bill Ellis