FWD: CFP: Macrohistorical Dynamics. Chicago, Nov. 2001
by thall

PEWS members and WSNers:

Below is a message I've forwarded from Nikolai Rozov, concernint social
science history Nov. 2001.  Apologies to those of you who get twice.

This has been a good venue for world-system related papers.  In addition to
macrohistorical dynamics "network" [SSHA is organized in networks], historical
geography has been open to world-system papers.

tom hall

>===== Original Message From H-NET List for World History
<H-WORLD@H-NET.MSU.EDU> =====
=46rom: Nikolai S. Rozov, Novosibirsk State University
        rozov@nsu.ru
=2E

CALL FOR PAPERS, SSHA, Macrohistorical Dynamics,
Chicago, Nov.15-18,2001

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to take part in Macrohistorical Dynamics (MHD) panels of
the 26th annual meeting of the Social Science History Association,
Chicago, Palmer House,  November 15-18, 2001.

Macrohistorical Dynamics (MHD) is an interdisciplinary social science
research field that focuses on problems of large-scale, comparative
historical inquiry.  Contributors to the field have brought perspective
on a wide variety of problem areas, including macro- and historical
sociology; world history; social evolutionism; world-system analysis;
comparative study of civilizations; philosophy of history; and studies
of long-term socio-ecological, technological, demographic, cultural, and
political trends and transformations.  More detailed information on MD
is available at the SSHA website:

http://www.ipums.umn.edu/~ssha/macro/

Since its beginning in 1997 such distinguished scholars as A.F. Frank,
R. Carneiro, G. Modelski, J. Goudsblom, A. Stinchcombe, R. Collins, S.
Sanderson, M. Mann, C. Chase-Dann, and T. Hall have taken part in MHD
panels, and we hope that some of them will participate in the MHD
network in Chicago in 2001.

The general theme of the SSHA Chicago-2001 meeting is "Quantitative &
Qualitative Approaches to Social Science History: A Reappraisal."

In line with this general theme, we suggest a focus for MHD panels on
"methodological issues underlying qualitative and comparative approaches
in macrohistorical dynamics."  We will have four panels but may also be
able to place additional papers through co-sponsorship with other
networks (for example, with History/Methods, Politics, Culture,
State-Society, Historical Geography, etc.).

By way of example, we propose some preliminary titles of possible
panels.  These topics illustrate some of the general themes of
Macrohistorical Dynamics.

=85 Comparative Methods in Macrohistory

=85 Theory in Macro-history: Are There Working Macrosociological Theories?

=85 Geopolitics, Geoeconomics, and Geoculture: Bridging Paradigms

=85 Problems of Macro-,Meso-, Micro- in Historical Explanations

=85 Social Structures and Human Agency in History

=85 Spatial Analysis of Large-scale Change

=85 Social Evolution and Systemic Transformations in World History

=85 What Can Sociobiology Offer the Sociologist and Historian?

=85 Prospects of Macrohistorical Dynamics in the 21st Century

The list of MHD panel themes is open and you are invited to propose
other panel topics.  However, if a given theme is relevant to your paper
submission, please indicate this so we can prepare the most constructive
groupings for the panels.

The deadline for paper and/or panel submissions is February 1, 2001.

SSHA requests that submissions be made by means of Web applications.
Paper title, brief abstract, and contact information should be submitted
on the site

http://www.ipums.umn.edu/~ssha

where the general SSHA-2001 call for papers is also available.

NOTE: There is an SSHA rule concerning book sessions.  For a session on
one book to proceed, the author (or at least one of multiple authors)
MUST be present. Proposals for book sessions should only be submitted if
there is high confidence that the author will be able to travel to
Chicago, November 15-18, 2001.

SSHA has set up a mechanism for networks to share papers, so even if you
have a solo paper, send the idea along.  It is possible and useful to
mark a paper not only by the MHD network, but also by some other
co-sponsoring networks-for example, Theory/Methods, Historical
Geography, Politics, Culture, Economics, etc.  Co-sponsored panels and
papers are being encouraged by the SSHA Program Commitee as a means of
broadening the visibility of the various networks.

Please use the SSHA submission site (find the address above) and feel
free to write to us if something is unclear.

GENERAL SSHA CFP

"Quantitative & Qualitative Approaches to Social Science History: A
Reappraisal"

The 26th Meeting of The Social Science History Association

The Social Science History Association will hold its 26th annual
conference, November 15-18, 2001 at the Palmer House in Chicago. The
SSHA (http://www.ipums.umn.edu/~ssha) is the leading interdisciplinary
association for historical research. The members of the association
share a common interest in interdisciplinary and systematic approaches
to historical research. The organization's long-standing interest in
research methodology also makes SSHA meetings fertile ground for
exploring new solutions to historical problems.

Thomas D. [tom] Hall
Department of Sociology & Anthropology
c/o 420 Anderson Bldg #f
DePauw University