Re: role of Third.. Ayatollah/CIA ?
by Institute for Global Futures Research (IGFR)

At 02:24 PM 12/31/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>The shifts in the relationship with the periphery are best
>described by Huntington, in 'Clash of Civilizations', and
>are exemplified by the US installation of the Ayatollah in
>Iran.  Instead of the pretense of 'universal democratization'

>rkm

Did I miss something ?  Can one really argue that the Ayatollah
was installed in Iran by the US - given the US/UK support of the Shah,
the US hostage crisis etc ?  We know about the Iran-Contra deal, and
the way Carter was brought down by the hostage crisis.  But
surely this was some ad hoc opportunism by the CIA and Co.

The Ayatollah was installed by an Islamic revolution which was a
response by Islamic Civilisation to their domination by Western secular
society (libertarian, individualist, materialist, roots in
Christian/Protestant
Civilisation).

Perhaps we need to acknowledge the major (slow-motion) clash between
Islam and Christianity first (paradigmatic), then the political-economic
systems clashes layered on top (strategic).  The Iran-Contra saga was
no more than theatre.

Regards,
Geoff Holland