< < < Date > > > |   Thread > > >

The Lucid and Succinct Discussion by R.K.Moore ...

by Seyed Javad

31 December 2000 15:26 UTC

Hi,

The lucid and illuminative discussion, though very brief, by Moore suffers
from the same logicial problems as most mainstream debates on non-Western
issues.
The installation of Ayatollah is not clear in his debate. If it is taken as
to refer to one person or to the whole ruling class in Iran, or to the whole
religious establishment in Iran, regardless their various factions and
frictions within the establishment or those who are Ayatollah(s) but are
outside of this established discourses ... .
Besides it should be noted, even I don't intend to be pedantic, that
Ayatollah means not a person but 'sign of Allah' which has specific meaning
within the Islamic Worldview, and its monopolization by a minority within
the current Iranian Clerocracy is in itself an interesting sociological
phenomenon.
However, the diversity between even Ayatollahs should be recognized and the
relevance of their established vs unestablished attempts should be properly
understood-if we mean to change the current state of affairs on a global
scale.

Thank you for reading and wish you all a happy New Year!

Kafkazli Seyed
University of Bristol
Faculty of Social Science
England