< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: role of Third World governments

by Richard N Hutchinson

30 December 2000 20:46 UTC

Gernot-

MDGT, yeah, that's right!

I've long been a proponent of Samir Amin's analysis, so far be it from me
to write off what he calls popular movements in the periphery.  His
analysis of "Bandung," the non-aligned movement, or G77, is not one-sided.
He points out both its progressive character as well as its limitations.

Of course it goes without saying that not all semiperipheral/peripheral
governments are alike, and change is rapid -- just look at the shifts in
India and China, the two largest countries in the world (and India is
projected to overtake China soon).

I'm with Samir in maintaining that there is still plenty of need and
possibility for revolutionary change in the periphery (which by his
definition includes Wallerstein's semiperiphery).  But if positive
changes can be made short of that, who am I to argue?

Richard