< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: * DRAFT FRAMEWORK FOR MOVEMENT SUCCESS *

by wwagar

16 December 2000 01:02 UTC

Dear Richard and List,

        I applaud Richard's FRAMEWORK as a start in what could become the
right direction, although I disagree with many of his specific points.  I
especially applaud his correct spelling of the venerable name of Gandhi,
hitherto spelled in all recent postings as "Ghandi."  It's only six
letters, folks.  Let's get it right!

        My principal problem with his strategy is its over-reliance on
spontaneous local initiatives.  One would wish for such initiatives, one
would wish that they would coordinate their efforts, one would wish they
could all see the Big Picture.  I don't think history gives us much
encouragement for thinking this can happen.  There need to be centripetal
forces at work here that can actively strive for harmonization,
coordination, and dissemination of the Big Picture.  My idea of a World
Party is my contribution to this debate, but I would be happy to see the
emergence of more than one World Party, under various names, originating
in various sites.  When Richard speaks of "the movement" and refers to it
as "it," I think his use of the singular number is an instinctive
acknowledgment of the need for central, as well as divergent local,
initiatives.  There can be more than one, but none is not enough.

        My other main problem with Richard's strategy is his statement, on
the one hand, that global capitalism cannot be reformed, and then his
statement, on the other hand, that the movement can dialogue with the
establishment and persuade it to relinquish its power in its own
enlightened self-interest.  I have no quarrel with any amount of dialogue,
but I think we need to be realistic.  The establishment is never going to
cooperate in managing its own dethronement.  The key to success, in the
short and long term, is the building of a movement--or movements--so
powerful that they will be able to topple that well-constructed house of
cards known as the establishment, and not with its consent, enlightened or
otherwise.

        This raises the all-important question of who are "we"?  In the
first instance, we are a few hundred thousand activists and scholars
scattered around the world whose chances of making even a small dent in
the world of established capitalist power are negligible--so negligible
that they let us rail on in perfect security.  If we posed the slightest
real threat to them, we would all be locked up in a flash.

        But "we," progressive activists and scholars, think that "we"
speak for about 90% of the world's people.  I think in this case we are
right.  Who are these people?  First, the overwhelmingly agrarian majority
of the global population living in poverty or relative poverty throughout
the planet, from small farmers and tenant farmers in the United States to
the agrarian masses of Latin America, Africa, Europe (especially Eastern
Europe), and Asia.  Second, wage-earning industrial workers everywhere,
more and more of them in Latin America, Africa, and Asia.  Third, the
great marginalized majority of the world's women.  Fourth, subject ethnic
minorities in dozens of nations throughout the world, most of them
peasants, industrial workers, and/or women and children.  This is almost
everybody on earth, folks!

        But wait!  What about the lower and middle bourgeoisie in the
"more developed" and "less developed" world?  What about the people in
"white-collar" occupations who have skills, education, modest incomes, and
hope for their own or their children's future?  Who are they?  Most of us
on this list probably qualify.  Are we the enemy?  Recent postings on this
list regarding the shrinking or persistence of the "proletariat" suggest
that we are.

        I disagree.  In Marx's time, class lines were more clearly drawn.
Before the advent of universal free public education, universal male and
female enfranchisement, and the arrival of a highly complex industrial and
commercial economy that required workers to be able to read the operator's
manual in order to tend the Humongous Gizmo, the proletariat was indeed
the proletariat:  unskilled, unlettered, able to contribute to the world's
work little more than its brawn and its fecundity.  Now, thanks to the
enlightened efforts of the chief defenders of global capitalism, the
(U.S.) Democrats and the (European) Social Democrats and their
counterparts elsewhere, this new bogus middle class has been co-opted,
brainwashed, and otherwise bribed, bought, and bamboozled into working its
tails off for the capitalist establishment.

        The trouble is that this emergent "bourgeoisie" enjoys enough free
time, education, and financial resources to supply any global democratic
movement with immense tangible support, if only it knew what it was about.
I think one of our principal tasks in the 21st Century must be to
cultivate the class consciousness of this emergent bourgeoisie--to define
it as what it really is:  not a bourgeoisie in Marx's sense, but as the
21st-Century equivalent of a large stratum of the 19th-Century
proletariat, the stratum of relatively skilled workers a few of whom
were able, or whose children were able, to colonize the true
bourgeoisie and become exploiters in their own turn if they so chose.
Meanwhile, the reality is that almost all "white-collar" workers in
today's world depend for their living on their salaries, wages,
royalties, fees, or commissions, not on their capital gains.

        I would therefore redefine the "proletariat" as workers who work
for a living and the "bourgeoisie" as capitalists who live on the income
of their capital.  I would make an exception for retired workers living on
annuities and investments acquired as a result of their life-long labor.
So re-defined, the proletariat would still comprise most of the
white-collar people in the "developed" economies and their white-collar
counterparts elsewhere.  Somehow or other, we have to convince these
people that they too were the victims of capitalist exploitation, albeit
less blatantly in most cases, and that they should stand
shoulder-to-shoulder with other workers and peasants everywhere.  I have a
son with a doctor's degree and many patents to his credit who works for
relative peanuts for a giant multinational corporation.  He does not need
convincing who is in charge and who benefits primarily from the fruits of
his labor!  There must be millions like him.

        The point is that the world still basically consists of a vast
population of screw-ees and a tiny population of screw-ers.  In this
respect, nothing has changed.  In Marxian terms, the iron laws of
political economy have always reigned, since the founding of the earliest
civilizations.  They will not cease to reign until and unless the sheep
rise up as one to oppose the wolves.  Rise up as one.  This takes at least
a certain measure of central organization and enlistment.

        In hope,

        Warren