< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Where have all the workers gone?

by Alan Spector

11 December 2000 03:24 UTC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Broome" <p.broome@rhbnc.ac.uk>

> there won't be a revolt, because there is hardly a proletariat left to
revolt.

> P.

Tell that to the garment workers in LA and NY, the underpaid, overworked
hospital workers all over the USA, the farm workers of California, Texas,
Florida, Ohio & Illinois, the steelworkers in my area of Gary, Indiana, the
autoworkers, coal miners, and especially, the unemployed proletariat youth
all over the USA.

And of course, I haven't yet mentioned the main group, women and men from
Mexico to Mali, India to Peru, and the demoralized millions in Eastern
Europe.

It must be nice to live in a dream world where all the happy predictions of
the 1950's (cars that will drive themselves, dinners that will cook
themselves, cheap, clean nuclear power, and the main problem being too much
leisure time for the upper middle income groups....) where all those happy
predictions of no more proletariat can co-exist with other imaginary dreams.

Think about that as you type out a response on a computer built with the
labor of hundreds of workers from East Asia to the Arab world to
California....

cheers,

Alan Spector

However, if you were remarking in sympathy and solidarity for the current
state of demoralization of the working class and the prospects for increased
unemployment, etc., then I take back all my sarcasm above, and apologize
graciously, since my comments are meant to be directed at those who deny
there is a working class, rather than those who lament the current
disorganized, vulnerable state of the working class.