< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Marx's materialism

by Richard K. Moore

04 December 2000 15:20 UTC

12/4/2000, Jason W. Moore wrote:
    > Marx's theorization of capital's basic laws of motion and
    its immanent crisis tendencies offered in successive volumes
    of _Capital_ are more applicable today than ever before.
    Whether one agrees with Marx or not, no one can claim to be
    serious student of the world capitalist system without
    engaging these arguments.

Dear Jason,

Many thanks for your response.  'Das Kaptial' is a huge work,
and I've been looking for some motivation to read it.  If it
only tells me more about capitalism, then I'm not very motivated.
The train is heading for us, and we're strapped to the tracks -
an engineering manual for the train isn't what we need.  If it tells
more than that, then I'd like some clue as to what that might be.
When you say "historical-geographical materialism", then I think of
"Guns, Germs, and Steel"... does he talk about that kind of stuff?

Also, if what I've written contradicts what Marx has shown to be true,
then I'd like to know about that.

seriously,
rkm