< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

ZNet Commentary / Dave Edwards / The Climate Killers / Nov 29 (fwd)

by Peter Grimes

03 December 2000 00:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:13:37 -0800
From: Michael Albert <sysop@zmag.org>
To: znetcommentary@tao.ca
Subject: ZNet Commentary / Dave Edwards / The Climate Killers / Nov 29

Commentaries are a premium sent to Sustainer Donors of Z/ZNet and that to
learn more about the project and join folks can consult ZNet at
http://www.zmag.org or the ZNet Sustainer Pages at
http://www.zmag.org/Commentaries/donorform.htm

====

THE CLIMATE KILLERS
Big Business Consigns The Sixth Conference On Climate Change To Irrelevancy
By David Edwards

An anonymous US official once advised, "We must counter, both in the UN and
within the framework of the North-South dialogue, any discussion of global
problems which questions the validity of the free market and of free
enterprise in the countries of the Third World."

This was merely a small part of a much wider, highly conscious and
vigorously executed campaign - by now, perhaps 100-years-old - to stifle
discussion of anything that questions the validity of the free market.
Looking beyond the crude totalitarianism of his day to the sleek