< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

The News Media: On the Road to Fascism

by Roslyn Bologh

29 November 2000 02:06 UTC

        I found it quite helpful to read the first post on the role the Wall
Street Journal has been playing. As a reader interested in analyzing what
is happening on a daily basis with respect to global political economy, I
read it every day, as, I am told, leading Marxist intellectuals also always
used to do.  I, too, have been struck with the hysterical and virulent tone
of the paper with respect to its unrelentless attacks on Clinton.
[Remember the guy in the Clinton entourage who committed suicide (Foster)
-- he cited the Wall Street Journal's viciousness in something found in his
briefcase (unclear if it was a torn up suicide note, or what, but I
remember the Wall Street Journal reporting and responding that if he
couldn't take it, he was obviously not of sound mind, or something like
that.]  I never could understand why there was such vitriol coming from the
WSJ when Clinton was doing exactly what the Republicans have always stood
for: reducing the deficit, making the bond traders (and Wall Street) happy,
ending welfare as we knew it, etc.
        The WSJ, using its OP ed pages for right wing think tank pieces, and its
own editorials, does seem to be taking a leading role in directing the
Republican Party, making accessible ideas and ideology as well as strategy.
         Here is an interesting editorial from, of all places, the New York
Daily
News, also pointing to the alarming situation of the Republicans busing in
mobs of people and using verbal and physical intimidation in Florida.