< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: US On The Road To Fascism?

by Mark Douglas Whitaker

27 November 2000 01:43 UTC

>       I guess I should clarify.
>       I cannot speak to the motives behind the original posting
>(forwarded to me which I forwarded to WSN), and I agree with Louis'
>assertion that hysteria is a good way to keep the troops mobilised.
>However, I still agree with the overall thrust of it for the reasons I
>mentioned in my own post in reaction.  The actual time-scale involved in
>this conflict (over modes of globalization) is not the issue for me.  What
>*IS* the issue is the fact of the conflict itself.

        Other perspectives on this would indicate similar importance in this
very vocal 'elite breakup.' [below] I find this (horribly) fascinating as well,
and wish the Republicans would calm down and get on with admitting publically
that "we're just one big happy elite family here," so to speak.  Who are they
kidding?
        What is additionally interesting: the Republican leadership has
typically demurred when it comes to this religious right bandwagon. The last
group they want to appeal to is a group concern about ANY morality, in general,
regardless of what it may be. However, they find that this social morality
framework is increasingly becoming their popular legitimacy and support.  That
is what is intriguing for me. Of course you can write this up to the shallow
rightist Democrats, pushing people in that direction.

Higley, John and Michael G. Burton. “The Elite Variable in Democratic
Transitions.” American Sociological Review 54, no. 1 (February 1989): 17-32.

Linz, Juan J. The Breakdown of Democratic Regimes: Crisis, Breakdown, and
Reequilibration. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1978.

Regards,

Mark Whitaker
University of Wisconsin-Madison