< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Global inequality

by Jozsef Borocz

26 November 2000 14:52 UTC

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Richard K. Moore wrote:

[ . . . ]

|if we are comparing today with pre-1945, then I suggest the
|structural changes are:
|    1) From the perspective of the periphery, exploitation
|       by the core has continued and intensified, with only
|       a change of methods.
|    2) From the core perspecive, imperialism has been collectivized,
|       with military enforcement handled by USA.
|    3) Within core nations, the implicit social contract between
|       capital and middle class has been abrogated by capital,
|       leading to comprehensive imperialization of populations
|       in the core, although less draconian than in the periphery.
|    4) Above are necessitated to continue capital growth, and enabled
|       by automated hi-tech weapons systems.

My addition:

     5) An end of the bipolar military standoff commonly referred to as
        the Cold War--with all its social institutions and weapons left back.

     6) The collapse of the Soviet late-Stalinist imperial attempt.

     7) The absence of geopolitical alternatives within the existing world
        order.

Or perhaps the same in some other order.

Jozsef