< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Global inequality

by Jason W. Moore

26 November 2000 07:04 UTC

Dear WSN,
    Peter Grimes contends that: "Globlization today is a
process of acceleration in the ability of Capital to vitiate the effective
power of the nation-state, thereby eroding the old core-periphery
hierarchy BETWEEN states and substituting instead that hierarchy WITHIN
them."
    This, it strikes me, is a rather fanciful notion that has gained
widespread currency on the left these days. I have yet to see any convincing
data to this effect. Core countries, by and large, have remained in the core,
peripheries have remained peripheries, and the gap between them, by most
accounts, continues to grow.
    Sincerely, Jason

Jason W. Moore
Sociology, Johns Hopkins