< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

producing epiphanies (was Re: Thousands protest Barak in Chicago)

by Petros Haritatos

16 November 2000 10:44 UTC

Patrick Bond's article shows a tragic and didactic story. It allowed me,
for the first time, to put together coherently the bits and pieces which
I was aware of, but ignorant on how they fit together.

This story deserves to be told more widely. It shows the interconnection
between themes like corporation-driven international politics,
cooptation of local elites, regression of human rights and manipulation
of minds. Writers can use this article to illustrate the connection
between dying children, Big Medicine, intellectual property rights and
American foreign policy.
Millions of decent people are concerned by the
mistreatment of children but cannot see how it is connected with
political issues. Told to such people, a story like this one shows how
governments can value corporate greed above children's health. If the
drama of trees and wildlife is one way to raise consciousness, and
ecology has found its way into children's books and TV scripts, then
what about *this* evolving thriller? It has the power to inspire
epiphanies -- the revelation that one's human concern for others is
powerless if it does not find political expression.

Petros Haritatos, Athens