< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Spector's Question

by ilagardien

15 November 2000 16:45 UTC

Alan

let me clarify... i generalised about whites as being racists (to be sure,
some weren't) and among these there were people who happened to be Jewish
(much the same as there were catholics and methodists etc)... Sure the jews
typically supported the Israeli government (which, as we  know, helped prop
up the racist regime) and protested that they couldn't possibly be racist
because a distant, or close relative had been persecuted in pogroms or the
holocaust.

Anyway, I remember being in detention, (the second time) and the security
policeman that tried to convince me to co-operate with the system (I was a
journalist and they wanted me to share information on my comrades) was
Jewish.

I guess I tried to make two points:

1. There is this perception that jews tend to be more liberal, presumably
because they know what it's like to live under a repressive regime, but
they also know power - much like any group.

2. In South Africa we never did say, well, whites are terrible, with an
automatic exclusion of jews, or any other group.

I remember the last dinner party discussion I had with the leader of teh
new rightist Democratic Party, Tony Leon - it ended with him saying: "You
fucking intellectuals hide your anti-semitism behind your anti-zionism." I
don't think there is any relation between being anti-zionist, and against
the brute repression by the Israel government and Judaism.

Apologies for the earlier post - so much get's lost in email.

cheers

ismail

Ismail Lagardien
World Bank Institute
J4-163
1818 H Street
Washington DC
20433
USA

202 473 9603

Visit the World Bank Institute's Website
http://www.worldbank.org/wbi/