< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Shoshana Lev's Response to J. Isaac

by Jeffrey C. Isaac

11 November 2000 07:45 UTC

as for my "location" and my "investments," you are free to infer whatever
you like. Arguments from and about origins have no intellectual interest
or merit as far as I am concerned.

The piece is wrote is not the only thing I have written or said about this
issue. If you read the piece as an apology for Barak or as an attack on
"the Palestinians," that is because you choose to do so, and becauses in
this polarized environment it is easier to assign people to "sides."

What you say about Oslo is basically correct. I am not and never have been
an idolizer of Rabin, but it is interesting that you refer only to
Netanyahu and Barak. The Oslo accords, and the peace process that followed
from them, was profoundly flawed. As far as I understand many left-liberal
peace camp supporters in Israel have argued this and at the same time have
believed, as I do, that the very diplomatic process started at Oslo was
ground breaking and worth building upon. They have sought, in other words,
to deepen Oslo.

I am not a believer in political perfection.

My question to you is simple: now that you have enumerated the wrongs,
what is your alternative?

JI