< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Hierarchy In the Forest

by Paul Gomberg

25 October 2000 12:14 UTC

OK, there is much that I should read. But by conveying some of the
substance of Lovejoy's arguments, I hoped to show the difference between
speculations that are grounded in specific detail and those that are cut
loose from specifics in a way that allows one to say whatever one's
political predilictions might incline one to say.

The exchange on bonobos versus chimps is just the sort of speculation I
was deprecating. It is idle to discuss who we are more closely related to
without specific evidence. Moreover, all of the differences Lovejoy notes
with common chimps apply to bonobos as well with the exception of their
sexuality: with bonobos there is such a prolonged display of estrus that
sexual receptivity and copulation occur beyond the period of fertility.
So with bonobos the display is not a reliable sign of fertility. And, as
a corollary, sex among bonobos is serving social functions beyond
reproduction, including sexual pleasuring of females by females. They
also copulate face to face sometimes.

Lovejoy's piece, particularly the version I cited, is short and very well