< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Looking for suggestions, help and any ideas

by Bimal Phnuyal

18 October 2000 17:11 UTC

Dear Everybody in the WSN List,

Hello! I am Bimal Kumar Phnuyal, a person from Nepal, writing from
Norwich, North-East England at the moment;  have been working in the
field of education and community development since 1985. Currently I am
doing a research at school of development studies, university of East
Anglia. I have lots of interest in World System analysis perspectives,
both with and without 'Hyphen'.

I have been the list member for last couple of months and I have really
enjoyed discussion here. I have also benefitted a lot from the
information about new books, journals and other contributions.

In my research, I am trying to see the politics of universalisation of
elementary education in Nepal,  from a world-system perspective. It has
been really interesting to see in what contexts Britan and France in
1870/80s and other different countries of the west in different times
introduced universal elementary education, and universal secondary
education after the second war. Why is universal basic/ elementary
education in developing countries becoming an issue at global level in
the recent decades? What are the actors of the world system at different
level doing for it? What has happened towards universal elementary
education in Nepal, say in the last five decades? Why has it happened
so? What have various actors or agencies [local to national state to
multilateral institutions] done what and in whose interests? I am still
trying to specify questions.

PLease suggest me any relevant literature or readings on this issue,
particularly any past research works on education, conducted from the WS
perspectives. I would also like to share views with individuals who are
interested on issues around elementary education - please suggest me
names and also give me their email addresses.

I look forward to hearing from many of you as soon as possible.

My email: b.phnuyal@uea.ac.uk  or Bimal@phnuyal.freeserve.co.uk

>         world-system network <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
In solidarity

Bimal Kumar Phnuyal