< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

nyt spin, plo lack of strategy

by Richard N Hutchinson

17 October 2000 20:07 UTC

Interesting example of anti-Palestinian spin in today's Times:

An article called "Can Arafat Turn It Off?" refers to "...the current wave
of deadly rioting..."

Deadly rioting?  100 or so rioters have ended up dead, but they were
killed by the deadly Israeli army.  "Deadly rioting" implies that the
rioters killed somebody.  Perhaps we are meant to think that they killed
themselves...

In another article ("Clashes Continue As Palestinians Protest Summit
Meeting," A13), Margwan Barghouti, West Bank leader of Fatah is quoted:
"The priority is to continue the uprising.  We will not stop it until
there is sovereignty and independence for Palestinians."

Of course this is not an official statement of Palestinian strategy, but
to the extent that it reflects a strategy, it is utterly bankrupt.  The
uprising will not continue until sovereignty, it will continue until it is
crushed by Israel, and there is another mass 67-style expulsion.

A new strategy is called for, but it does not appear to be forthcoming...

RH