< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Fwd: Palestine and the Left

by KSamman

16 October 2000 21:01 UTC

Khaldoun: I have received a number of the responses to your question.  I am
not subscribed to the WSN, but you may wish to post this response to this
piece (or not):

Here is a controversial proposition: if the Palestinian movement would
   change its tactics and strategy, and instead of continuing the "violent
   rioting" mode of the latter-day intifadah, complete with brutal acts of
   its own in the face of Israeli atrocities, and shift to a mass, concerted
   movement of nonviolent resistance, throughout all of "Israel and the
   occupied territories," as is suggested, eliptically, in the Said
   statement, I believe a powerful solidarity movement would instantaneously
   come forward not only in the U.S., but around the world. Said talks in
   terms of a movement that would be comparable to the South African movement
   against apartheid, that came to enjoy nearly universal moral support
   around the world, and which came to include the boycotts and trade
   sanctions that apparently had a significant effect in bringing apartheid
   to an end (see the work of Kathleen Schwartzmann on this question). The
   talk of "war" is absurd -- it should be clear by now that the Palestinian
   movement is not going to prevail militarily.

The present day Palestinian movement is not notably more violent than the
anti-apartheid movement in its last decade.  Most of the demonstrators throw
rocks--that's why so many more Palestinians are getting killed than Israelis.
Remember the controversies over, and I can't quite remember what this was
called (rubber necking?), throwing burning tires over the heads of
collaborators in South Africa?  There was also more violent opposition to
British colonialism in India (the non-violent movement par excellence) than
people often remember.    Not to mention the original Zionist movement. If a
movement has broad moral support, people tend to look the other way at the
violence that inevitably seems to accompany movements.  If they do not enjoy
that support, people dwell on these incidents as excuses to not support them.

By the way, Said was photographed throwing rocks at Israeli soldiers, and
explicitly defended this action in the press.  So don't go enlisting him in
some campaign of narrowly defined non-violence.

Steven Sherman
ssherman@gborocollege.edu

Steven Sherman