< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Mass Murder in Venezeula?

by The McDonald Family

23 September 2000 22:58 UTC

At 06:40 PM 9/23/2000 EDT, you wrote:
>I did a quick search on the Library of Congress website, to see if a book by
>Patrick Tierney, copyrighted in 2000 (it would already have to be copyrighted
>to come out in Oct) exists.  Here's the description of the book as listed on
>the LOC website:
>
>Darkness in El Dorado : how scientists and journalists devastated the Amazon.
>
>LC Control Number: 00038682
>Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
>Personal Name: Tierney, Patrick.
>Main Title: Darkness in El Dorado : how scientists and journalists devastated
>the Amazon.
>Published/Created: New York : Norton, 2000.
>Projected Pub. Date: 0009
>ISBN: 0393049221
>Notes: Includes bibliographical references and index.
>Subjects: Chagnon, Napoleon A., 1938- --Influence.
>Chagnon, Napoleon A., 1938- --Public opinion.
>Yanomamo Indians--Crimes against.
>Yanomamo Indians--Social conditions.
>Indians, Treatment of--Amazon River Region.
>Genocide--Amazon River Region.
>Gold mines and mining--Amazon River Region.
>Anthropological ethics--Amazon River Region.
>LC Classification: F2520.1.Y3 T54 2000
>Dewey Class No.: 981/.1 21
>Geog. Area Code: sa-----
>Quality Code: pcc

Likewise, I did a search on the AltaVista search engine using the keywords
"Patrick Tierney" and "Yanomamo." I came up with only one page.

1. "Faces of the Rainforest"
http://www.hopscotch.org/Cruz/Cruz1.html
English

"Brazil's Indians total 270,000 and speak about 170 languages. One tribe,
the Makuxi, a group no longer knowledgeable of its ancient religious
practices, lives on the arid savanna of the state of Roraima, in the
contentious area of Raposa Serra do Sol, on the border between Brazil and
the Guianas. In October 1995 the Makuxi and their neighbors, the Yanomami,
plagued by the devastation of illegal gold mining, were visited by
Manhattan-based Brazilian photographer Valdir Cruz, who stayed with them for
two months and photographed them extensively. A year later, obsessed with
what he had seen, Cruz returned, accompanied by ++ Patrick Tierney, author
of _Last Tribes of El Dorado: The Gold Wars in the Amazon Rain Forest_
(1995). ++ This time Cruz expanded his focus, photographing some Yanomami
living in Venezuela's Siapa mountain range. He had discovered his mission:
to turn the Indian faces into a testimony."

I did a second search on "Darkness in El Dorado," and came up with another page.

2. "Darkness in El Dorado: How Scientists and Journalists Devastated the Amazon"
http://web.wwnorton.com/orders/wwn/004922.htm
English

This page is a simple order page for a book which is described as not being
published.

It looks very much like the book, and the author, are quite real. It is only
a matter of finding out whether Tierney's account is reliable.

This is an utter catastrophe for anthropology. And for the Yanomami ...

Later,
Randy McDonald