< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Colombia's History Puzzle (2/2)

by Emilio José Chaves

02 August 2000 01:06 UTC

Hello WSN. Here it goes the second and final part. Thanks, Emilio
**********************
6) Colombian economy
Our  economy has always been concentrated in a few hands, and based on the
exports of natural resources (wood, coffee, gold, emeralds, quina, tobacco,
bananas, oil, coal, nickel ...and recent illegal drugs). It was always
self-sufficient in food production prior to neoliberal imposition.
In 1899, Usona sold guns to both sides of the civil war: to the dictatorial
conservative government and to the liberal party opposition, during a bloody
war where peasants and simple people put the deads. Dismembering was
encouraged by those elites: when ammunitions were over they ordered to
continue with machetes. At the end, in 1903 they signed a peace treaty,
Usona stole the Canal, and Panama became a new nation.
Few years later, it started the caucho boom. Usona-latin companies enslaved
and killed indians of the Amazonic jungle to profit. Decades later, usonian
biologists took the best caucho seeds and the multinationals planted them in
South-East Asia.
From 1920 to 1970 we had an slow but firm process of industrialization based
on protectionism (Keynes-Prebisch). First unions and left parties were
created, and the first masacre of union workers was accomplished by the
colombian army instigated by the Usona ambassador. (Eduardo Galeano and
García Márquez wrote about it).
Around 1946, the conservatives launched a terror campaign in the rural areas
to clean them from liberals and to take over their lands. They used civil
gangs called "birds" and police gangs called "chulavitas", which today are
called as "paramilitaries", or simply "army". This pushed millions of
refugiated people to the cities, and increased misery and the land and
income inequality social problems. Some liberals tried to defend theirselves
and formed gangs called "bandoleros". After some hundred thousand deaths and
dismemberings, the elites joined at elegant hotels in Europe, and signed
peace among them. But some of the bandoleros created their own independent
communities, far from official control, around 1958. At this point, Usona
pushed the government to launch a heavy attack on them with napalm, planes,
bombs, and thousands of soldiers. When they took the area, the 48 families
had moved to another place and multiplied later to become the left guerrilla
Farc that has conducted a low intensity civil war during last 36 years. At
the same time, another guerrilla, ELN, inspired by christian and urban
students, developed their armed resistance.

During 1970s marihuana appeared as an export product. The boom lasted a few
years: as soon as usonians learned to cultivate it in their land, it became
good, legal and full of medical properties.
Later came cocaine and heroine; coca was an spiritual and medicine plant of
andean people who chewed their leaves. Occident developed it as concentrated
cocaine, a luxury product, and it became common among high income artists,
executives, politicians, militars and university students in Usona during
hard working moments. Colombia is a nation ideal for smugglers and when coca
was displaced from Bolivia and Peru it became a plantation product. Soon,
capos became big landowners, and industrial investors. Even the church
benefited from their donations. Traditional elites, always criminal and
corrupted, found a new political and rich business partner, pushed more
peasants to the jungle and financed their growing. The rest is easy to
observe: highly trained paramilitars started another round of killings and
dismemberings. Militars looking to another side, elites quiet, while
colonels North and Hyett trafficked at the White House and embassies. Small
peasants and those ones pushed to the jungle found a way to survive from the
cultives, just when agricultural basic prices and exchange rates fell down.

Around 1970 some colonizers medium land-owners of the east-plains invited
close to 100 indians for a lunch. Once they finished the lunch they killed
the indians. Only anthropologists and left newspapers protested. When
justice asked the colonos they said "We did not know that killing indians
was that bad". They soon recovered freedom. The only difference with usonian
thanksgiving day is in the timing of the killing.

Conclussions:
1. Through history, we have had elites with assasin, patriarcal and racist
mentalities, but highly civilized manners. Our history is a mixture of
dominations, colonialist genocides, medioeval practices, slavery,
inquisitions, and efforts to modernize. Marxist analysis is useful in
several moments, but not enough to understand the process.
2. Land, racial and social problem have completed more than 400 years
without solution.
3. Empires like Spain, Britain or Usona, their armies, diplomatics and TNC
elites, have been promoters of resources pillage, social injustice, cruelty
and death squads in this nation.
4. It would be great if usonians learn to cultivate coca and heroin in their
land, legalize it, and leave us without the advantages of their presence and
help. But it is not probable, because it goes against the Usonian Dream and
those of their needed allied colombian elites.
5. Usonian and colombian official versions of our conflicts may be found in
big media news and their apologetic history text-books.
6. Usonian middle class naivete about this topics is so huge, that we
suspect it has to be intentional.
7.  Usonian official stand declares that the problem started 40 years ago
due to communist guerrillas which recently became financed -directly or
indirectly- by narco-money, and recomends a militar solution bombing our
peasants with  bullets, chemicals and fungus, while favouring their arms
industry. That is as ridiculous as solving usonian anguish by poisoning
their anguished people with fungus, and calling them corrupted ones.
8. Our corruption is considered a problem only when it does not fit the
corrupted practices of the nordic imperial forces and elites.
9. The main difference between usonian necrophylia and colombian one is that
ours needs a closer contact with the victim, while they prefer a long
distance, more technical, efficient, civilized and antiseptic killing. Both
are cultural problems to be solved by each nation, and both come from
centuries ago.
10. If usonians want to repeat the Vietnam experience with us, of course it
will be very hard for us. If that is the case, I wish they would not try to
help us in reconstructing ourselves after destroying us, just to prove how
noble they may be. It would only add humilliation to a tragedy they could
have avoided on time. Perhaps such an  action might help to build the
latinoamerican unity that Bolivar never got, but which it is still part of
our dreams.
11. I think our social-psychologists, and theirs, should re-read Erich Fromm
to understand and change our/their sick souls and values, there and here.