< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: imperialism and poverty

by David Smith

19 July 2000 05:20 UTC

Dear Paul:

I meant to respond to your original message but got too busy (ah... the
life of a journal editor!).  There is a book that I found very helpful a
few years ago -- but of which few folks on the list probably are aware.
It's by a guy who was trained in biological ecology (and is currently a
life sciences prof at UCSB) named William W. Murdoch.  It's called THE
POVERTY OF NATIONS: THE POLITICAL ECONOMY OF HUNGER AND POPULATION (1980)
Johns Hopkins University Press.  Of course, the book is now a bit dated
and the author was blissfully unaware of most of the global political
eocnomy/world-system theoretical ideas that are familiar to many of us.
But it's still worth a look...

dave smith
sociology, uc-irvine

(PS To respond to your interest in more up-to-date material, there's a
guy named David Myhre who does some interesting work on agriculture in
Mexico.  You also might want to look at something by Harriet Freidmann on
the political economy of food production.)