< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Neo-conservatism and workers

by Alan Spector

04 July 2000 19:29 UTC

A working class person with petit-bourgeois ideas is a working class person
with petit-bourgeois ideas. Not a petit-bourgeois person, who presumably is
part of the owning class or who makes his/her income primarily from the
labor of others. Even upper income working class people are being cheated by
the capitalists.

None of my comments are meant to forgive or excuse reactionary,
pro-imperialist, even racist or pro-fascist ideas or actions that such
"upper stratum" workers might carry out. Class analysis tells us about
trends, not about individuals. Individuals must take responsibility for
their acts, good or bad, no matter what class they belong to.

But it "muddies up the water", it confuses the issue to say that such upper
income workers are not workers. It moves towards defining class as based on
attitudes. One can analyze society based on attitudes, of course, and
sometimes it might be useful. But let's not use the rhetoric of class
analysis when we are doing attitude analysis. Attitude analysis leads away
from analyzing the material structures, forces, and processes that make
capitalism-imperialism function in certain ways, and opens the door to a
liberal analysis that can easily slide into a conservative analysis that no
longer blames the workings of capitalism-imperialism and the rich who
benefit, but instead blames those who are supposedly "too ignorant or
corrupt to stop it."

Alan Spector